Belief compared to Evidence of No God
(Top Posts - Distance From Belief
in christianity - 012309)


Someone wrote:

> I have faith. I do not claim to "know" that God exists,
> I claim to "believe" it.
>
> Sorry you can't get that, but it's not up to me to convince
> you.

Why do you believe it?

You told another poster "well said" in reply to his
"know"ing that God exists. Aren't you curious about
his "know"ing, -or- was your "well said" comment
not meant to comment on his "know"ing, but instead,
was meant to comment on his lack of need to prove
his "know"ing ... Would you like to "know" whatever
it is that poster "knows", or would you prefer to merely
believe?

Oh well, if that poster is right, you'll "know" -if- you
get to heaven, but if that poster is wrong, reference
all the alternatives, including one you perhaps aren't
familiar with, that being the possibility, however slim,
that you might have a naturalistic continuance. I have
no knowledge of such a continuance, but am disinclined
to rule it out until someone convinces me that it's natur-
alistically impossible rather than just highly unlikely.

Perhaps you've not considered that one, as most, I
suspect, have been taught by their religions that it's
belief  (in their version of God, and if you jump through
the 'right' hoops, you get a pleasant immortality) -or-
doom (eternal death, naturalistically, if God, their ver-
sion, doesn't exist, eternal death due to God, their ver-
sion, or eternal torment due to God, their version).

- - -

Someone wrote:

> One day, you will know, truly know, and you will be on
> your knees pleading for mercy.
>
> I believe that, by the way, I don't know it, but the bible
> says it will happen and that's enough for me.

Well, you've said you believe that, based on what,
you haven't said. Any evidence, and why do you
believe something like that, what is it based on? Do
you know who wrote the passages you're basing
that belief on? Do you know that their passages are
true, and if not, why do you believe them, the mostly
anonymous writers of texts loaded with contradictions,
anti-humanism, myth, and threats.

The bible is an artificial compilation by mostly anony-
mous writers. It was first assembled at the behest of
Roman emperor Constantine, for use in his promotion
of replacing Pagan worship with christianity. Before
you get all enthused about that, note that Constantine
was a murderer, so having your christian bible assem-
bled by edict of a murderer, that should give pause to
the notion that christians are taught, that the mostly
anonymous and myth-filled and scientifically invalid
assemblage of God-promotion is "holy".

- - -

Someone wrote:

> [...] I've said (repeatedly, by the way) that I do not
> have proof, and don't need it. [...]

You've said you "believe", but haven't said why.
One would suspect that the 'why' is because you
were promised everlasting happiness (after death)
when you were very young, and you haven't yet
viewed all the threats that were mentioned when
you were young as worthy of condemnation/
rejection, either that -or- you aren't all that
concerned about the threats 'cause you don't
believe they'll adversely impact anyone you
really care about (and even if they do, you're
OK with that 'cause your religion has taught
you to be OK with that).

One would also suspect that you "believe" be-
cause you've been told 'God answers prayer'
and you'd like to think that is true, despite the
evidence to the contrary and despite the impos-
sibility of God answering irreconcilable prayers.

So, it would appear that you "believe" due to
an emotional desire to live forever and to have
an all-powerful friend in the sky and to dismiss
any anti-humanism that all-powerful friend in
the sky has engaged in or might engage in (or,
if you like that anti-humanism, you're OK with
anti-humanism as long as God is doing it, even
though it's diametrically opposed to the con-
cept that God is love).

Irreconcilable contradictions convey that the
God you believe in is non-existent. Anti-
humanism conveys that the God you believe
in is evil. Neither a contradictory God or an
anti-human God is worthy of belief or wor-
ship, but if such a God existed, you'd better
watch out if you plan to spend eternity with
such a being, for it just might send you to
the same place it sent most of humankind if
you dared to use your 'free will' (you will
have 'free will' in heaven, won't you?) to
question or counter God.

God, evidence on the "no god" side of the
equation follows, what some would accept
as proof of no god. Read with an open mind
if you are curious about the alternatives to
blind faith that aren't likely presented in a
positive light in any church you've attended: 

GOD - Brainwashing Evidence - christian bible ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/brainwashing_evidence_bible.htm

The Know No God, Know No Jesus, Know No Angels, Know No Satan crowd ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/know_no_god_crowd.htm 

Evidence of No God 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/evidence_of_no_god.htm 

Reasoning your way to no god, no christ 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/reasoning_your_way_to_no_god.htm

Good News for Christians 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/good_news_for_christians.htm

All About Flavors (of gods/no gods) 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/all_about_flavors.htm 

Face-to-Face With the Reality of Christianity and ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/face_to_face_with_religions.htm

 The Onion Researches the God Question: Is There a God? 
  http://prohuman.net/philosophy_general/is_there_a_god.htm

"There is no god." Evidence, please, for your assertion? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/there_is_no_god_evidence_please.htm

Type 1 Diabetic Pro-Humanist Responds to Bush Stem Cell Decision 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/stem_cell_decision.htm 

Type 1 Diabetic Pro-Humanist Responds to Bush Stem Cell Decision, Part 2 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/stem_cell_decision2.htm 

Christian Doubters Searching for "The Way" 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/christian_doubters_searching.htm 

Tigers, God(s), and the ICOYS 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/tigers_god(s)_the_ICOYS.htm

Super-God / God in a Box? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/super_god_god_in_a_box.htm 

Decisions = Stimuli + Random Brain Activity 
  http://prohuman.net/prohumanistfreeloverdaily/091101.htm 

The Case for 1st Amendment Exclusion 
of Under God in Public School -and- One... 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/1st_amendment_under_god.htm

... And another thing ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/another_thing.htm 

Breaking It Down -- disbelief/belief in 
the assorted versions of the supposed God ... 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/breaking_it_down.htm 

Top 10 Reasons Believers Follow the Christian God 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/reasons_believers_follow.htm

God Is a Man-Made Creation 
  http://prohuman.net/2001/10/31.htm 

If There Was a God - 79 Questions 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/if_there_was_a_god_79_questions.htm

Tsunami Reactions of Fear, Faith Doubt, Clerics, Beyond Belief 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/tsunami_reactions.htm 

More religious views/responses on the tsunami 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/religious_views_tsunami.htm

Origins+Tsunami -- God -or- Naturalism? 
  http://prohuman.net/science/origins_tsunami_god_naturalism.htm

Wave that beggared my belief 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/wave_beggared_belief.htm 

Post-tsunami views by some former & current believers ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/post_tsunami_views_beli... 

God is a chameleon 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/god_is_a_chameleon.htm 

Teaching 'Thinking' 
  http://prohuman.net/philosophy_freelover/teaching_thinking.htm

The Nature of Christian Brainwashing - Immoral Path to Delusion 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/nature_of_brainwashing.htm

God/Allah -- Reality? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/god_allah_reality.htm 

Prayer Test 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/prayer_test.htm 

A skeptical view of christianity 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/skeptical_view_of_christianity.htm

In God We Trust? 
  http://prohuman.net/social_legal/in_god_we_trust.htm 

Words of Wisdom - Disbelief, Death, Slavery 
  http://prohuman.net/philosophy_general/words_of_wisdom.htm

Brief Q&A: Atheists versus Theists 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/atheists_versus_theists.htm

Blindness, Colors, Perceptions, God, Language 
  http://prohuman.net/science/blindness_colors.htm 

Jesus - Christ, Man, or Myth 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/jesus_christ_man_or_myth.htm

Historical Jesus Summary : No Reliable Evidence 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/historical_jesus_summary.htm

Atheists Estranged by Pastor Bush 
  http://prohuman.net/2001/10/05.htm 

There Is No God? 
  http://prohuman.net/2001/10/15.htm 

Search for a 'Creator/God' 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/search_for_creator_god.htm 

How Would Things Change If a God Really Existed? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/change_if_god_existed.htm 

God News? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/god_news.htm 

Personal Testimony 
  http://prohuman.net/philosophy_freelover/personal_testimony.htm

Naturalism and Morals 
  http://prohuman.net/2001/10/16.htm 

God of christians, God of muslims ... 
  http://prohuman.net/2001/11/23.htm 

For Devout Faith-Followers of Christianity or Islam ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/devout_followers_christianity_islam.htm

Have you tried to cover up the unknown with ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/cover_up_the_unknown.htm 

The Hell You Say ... what the hell is hell? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/the_hell_you_say.htm 

A Week Without God ... 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/week_without_god.htm 

God is love? 
  http://prohuman.net/disbelief/god_is_love.htm 

- - -